The COVID-19 pandemic has not just changed the race calendar for 2020 but also our behaviour at races going forward. In addition to following national/local measures in regions hosting races along with UCI protocols we will be implementing the below measures to manage the risk of spreading the virus.
Travel to and between races
- Pre-travel testing – Prior to commencing each block of travel for racing a COVID-19 test will be completed.
- Limit use of higher risk modes of transport – Use of planes and ferries will be avoided wherever possible. The primary method of traveling to races will be alone by car. When crossing the Channel, Eurotunnel will be used as you remain in your vehicle throughout the journey so the risk of infection is minimal.
- Avoid large hotels – For short stays, smaller hotels away from city centres will be chosen to reduce the number of people we come into contact with. For longer stays renting a house will be the preferred option.
- Dining – Wherever possible restaurants with outside seating will be used and avoiding peak times. Where cooking facilities are available in rented properties this option will be preferred.
- Masks and general hygiene – Masks will be used where there is a risk that social distancing rules may not be possible e.g hotel check in. Hand sanitiser will always be readily available and frequently used.
- Moto ‘bubble’ – Due to the close proximity of a photographer and motorbike pilot whilst working in a race they will form a ‘moto bubble’ for the duration of the race, with all of the above measures being implemented. Health will be monitored and reported in the lead up, during and after each event. Masks and hand sanitiser will be supplied to hired moto pilot. See monitoring section below for more information.
- Avoid press rooms – At races where press rooms are available, these will not be used. Post race editing and distribution of photos will be completed alone in a car or another low risk location.
- Masks and general hygiene – Masks will be used where there is a risk that social distancing rules may not be possible e.g photographer finish lines/podiums/attending safety briefings . Hand sanitiser will always be readily available and frequently used.
- Photographer symptom monitoring – From 12th July onward until the the season is complete I will complete a daily symptoms assessment including temperature and common virus symptoms inline with those used in the team assessment of the UCI protocols. The results will all be published online. Click the ‘Health Check Reporting’ button below for results.
- Moto pilot symptom monitoring – From five days before a race where moto pilot will be used, the hired driver will be issued with a thermometer and will complete the same health check monitoring.
All measures outlined above will be reviewed on a regular basis and amended to reflect the ever changing conditions.